Monday, August 13, 2018

Days 20 and 21

Ok so yes I am a day behind because...TIRED! :) Friday, Day 20, we had many awesome folk to make a movie with, but I was so busy, and trying to get it all done against the clock that I only got pictures of Mickey Rowe and Angela Di Marco, both wonderful actors! Today was more relaxed, as you see from Ryan's sleepy face...yes he is back! We enjoyed having Bob Webeck of course in his stead, but now there are more...mints. We are over half-way through our shoot. In fact, today begins our second-to-last week of filming. Am I feeling the pressure? Maybe a little. Most of the more technically- and emotionally- challenging scenes have been filmed, but every day we face the same pressure. On a small indie film, we have a tight shooting schedule, and no money for extra days, or for overtime, in the budget, so each day we MUST complete our work. And, we have to complete our work around planes, trains, and, today, garbage trucks unexpectedly picking up dumpsters right outside the window, ruining a take for sound. Or we have to pick up a whole base-camp and move it to a new location, on top of doing the day’s scheduled filming. Or the Art Department has to transform an inpatient medical facility into a romantic B&B. It’s crazy! But we feel privileged to do it. This team, these several dozen people who every work day come and give the very best that they have to give; these folks are incredible, and I’m so blessed that they are here with us, making this film possible. Today we filmed a turning point in our redemption-story arc, for one very key relationship. (Have you noticed, I seem to have a thing about redemption stories? My movies are pretty much all about making lemonade out of life's lemons...) It was a delicate, nuanced moment, where two basically estranged people took first tentative steps back toward forgiving each other. My heart is utterly grateful for the brave exploration that our actors brought to it. I was very touched, and decided to spend lunch time by myself, just being quiet and letting the beauty settle in. “Do you have any regrets?” one character basically asks in the scene. The way the actor delivers the line, it is clear that that character is full of regret, and is really asking: Am I alone here in my regret? Have I messed everything up so badly that there’s no forgiveness possible for me? I’ve compared our actors to highly-trained racehorses before. And they are a little bit like racehorses, in that they live to run; straining at the bit to perform to their full capacity, leaping forward spiritually, opening up to the powerful truth their work creates. I love the theater-like exploration of rehearsal, but I love it even more when I get to say “Action”, and the starting gate goes down, and these glorious artists fly towards the finish, when I reluctantly say "Cut". If I were not 100% grateful in every single moment of this amazing journey we are on, I would be brain-dead. I feel like singing "Alleluia"s all day.

No comments: