Monday, August 25, 2008

So in Wales, unless we find an internet cafe on our rambles, I am going to just be doing text from my phone - which hurts my hands a bit. Suffice to say that I am in total hog heaven... Our tiny B n B, Amber Cottage, is sweet and a good bracing contrast to London luxe - our sweet hostess Kila managed to wash and spin our stinky clothes, though not dry them as I am discovering most Brits do not have dryers - finding a laundromat has proved daunting and Tallis had to buy socks in Marks n Spencer as all is were, as he put it, "stinky".

From the time the train turned up the familiar river Tywi and I saw Llansteffan Castle on the hill I have been in total rapture. I feel at home though the last time I lived here was 1980.

The boys had to restrain me from leaping off the train at the Carmarthen station! But then the scenery got even better as we proceeded to Haverfordwest and hired our car and swooped down hills nd up hills with Tallis riding shotgun saying "Dad! Too close to the kerb!" And through the familiar dell by Solva, with all the boats, and up the tiny narrow roads finallt to beloved St. David's. This is my third pilgrimage here, so it is the equivalent of going to Jerusalem, as medieval tradition has it.

We met Kila and strolled to the sweet cathedral where my happy-o-meter hit its peak, went to the new Refectory for a perfect and organic Hake supper, the gently explored the Close a bit before wandering past our B n B loving the hedgerows and the sea wind until my blisters fired up and we retired to Amber Cottage for a happy hour of Scrabble, listening to Ella Fitzgerald and U2. In bed by 10 and up by 6:30, though we have been trying to stay asleep. It is 8am on Tuesday and we are going to order breakfast a lot earlier tomorrow, as our open windows and the crows and the passing trucks and the hard bed do not make for sleeping in. :)

This is the only room that gets cell reception for some reason, here on the first floor. Rural mysteries. Terry and I said at about 7:30 that this last week has been the most we have just hung out together in a very long time, free of the need to always be on Theo duty. Tallis of course is an adult now in almost all ways and needs very little minding. We are amazed at the ease of life without the hypervigilance needed at home.
Now, how to be able to keep some of this peace back home? A topic for prayer indeed.

Almost my slot for breakfast. Better get ready. Love to all who read this from Pembrokeshire!!!

No comments: