Sunday, July 29, 2018

Day 10, Kids, Kids, Kids!

We were at our school location, on a very hot day, to film kids on the playground! And much fun was had. A very good, but rather exhausting, day. We got to work for the first time with the wonderful young actors playing Charlie, Dana, Mitchell, Bradley, and Astrida, as well as many adorable background extras. Ron Leamon and Gerard Parr have really brought the early 1960s to live with their incredible wardrobe work. And everyone on this amazing crew, as usual, brought their "A" game (although Carlos forgot his hat...he borrowed one from wardrobe and avoided Cranium Burn, thank God). Sun block was liberally shared. Matt Rush and his team were kept busy building soaring sun protection/diffusion for the kids for much of the day. I have no idea how they do it so rapidly and so well. Any of it. I am just thankful. Everyone had fun, nobody skinned a knee at recess, and we got some amazing footage. I am privileged to be able to edit on Saturdays with our excellent editor Sana Gomes, backed up by assistant editor Kazuo Mayeda. It is the first time that I have been able to assembly-edit as I shoot, which is SUCH a luxury and joy. And occasionally there is a minor "oops" that I can go fix, if we are in the same location. Having an assembly of a scene cut together helps me see the bigger picture much more than dailies alone. To Larry's and my utter joy, Josh Henning is back from his excellent Kenyan filmmaking adventure! There was no time to hear his stories, as he had to go right to work. But I look forward to seeing his footage and hearing all about it. I am so...very..tired. With my achy bod, this pace is difficult sometimes, so my weekends, despite kind offers for fellowship, are usually all about recovery, and pretty bare of contact. I exile the cats from my bedroom and try to get good sleep. Sometimes it works. Today I was way too tired to even go to church, which makes me sad. But I need to be up at 5:30 tomorrow. I think a morning nap is called for. God understands. ZZZZZ......

No comments: