Wednesday, March 24, 2010

RIP Becky Mehrer, My Childhood Friend



RIP Rebecca Mehrer

My heart is breaking today because I learned in a letter last night that my dear friend Becky Mehrer (seen here riding my horse Rookie circa 1975) died. Her poor Mom did not say how she died. Becky was my best pal in grade school, and my horse pal in High School. She was the one I always rode horses with as kids, she was a Girl Scout with me. Her Mom, June, was my Girl Scout leader, and her family ran the Adventuress back then. She was the falconer-in-training that I flew hawks with and counted eagles with each winter as teens.

I am so heartbroken that she never got to see "The Dark Horse", there was a line in it just for her ("Remember how Becky and I used to come up here to hide when you big boys were marauding"). . . I should have just sent her a copy of it, I wanted to send her a "real" one when it was released . . . Oh it makes me so sad!

Rest in peace, sweet Becky, known to me as "Schnutz". I will miss talking horses with you, and giggling about boys, and reading romance novels in the sun on hillocks with horses grazing beside us, and climbing mountains, and polishing the brass on the Adventuress, and voyaging on the "P.S.", and having adventure after adventure every Spring Break and many October weekends and summers.

You take a huge part of my childhood memories with you. Nobody will ever know the young horse-dreaming, silly, romantic preteen Corrie the way you did, and nobody will ever know that silly preteen you like I did. I will always miss you.

This has been one doozy of a Lent. I am very ready for Easter. Madeleine always said that Lent was the toughest time of the year, and indeed I remember many horrible Lents when I was working for her. But this one has just been awful.

Ten days till Easter.

No comments: