Sunday, November 2, 2008

Redemptive Storyteller Award






Well they really gave me one, a lovely trophy designed by the same firm that makes the Oscars *grin* - "The Dark Horse" got its second award. And there was much rejoicing! Here are some pictures, one with my new friend Dondra Vaughn and me (she made a heartbreaking and beautiful doc called "Blinding Faith" about a minister in India who had to sign his own death warrant to be able to preach). One is with Joshua Weigel, who made an astonishing 168 film called "Stained", shot on a Red Camera, that just plain took my breath away with its quality. But of course my favorite movie (other than mine!) was the gorgeous, heartfelt "Pie 'N Burger" by the amazing Clare Sera and her Act One team. I knew many of the folks in the credits, and I was so very glad it won.

Doctor Chris Cunningham also asked which filmmakers had come the farthest to the festival, and both Father Christopher Wolf, S.J. (who came from Germany with his amazing doc about people doing prayer retreats at Auschwitz called "In Spite of Darkness: A Spiritual Encounter with Auschwitz") and me, who came all the way from Seattle heh heh. So they gave us scheduling and budgeting software! Yay!

We did not see Pat Robertson, but we saw his horses . . . his house is on campus, walking distance to CBN, and his horses are behind alarm-equipped electric fences. Truly astonishing.

Having written my 2k words today on my novel for NaNoWriMo and received my award, I am finally going to bed! Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see my family! Our screening was embarrassing yesterday with its technical difficulties (Argh I am so frustrated with home DVD production!), but at least Dondra and her Mom saw the movie. Instad of watching it for the nine millionth time, I got to go to a radio interview with Greg Gregoire of "The Jesus Film Project", which was fascinating. Spent all afternoon getting to know Greg, and chatted with his lovely wife a bit at the ice cream social last night. Some truly incredible folks. Sadly the lady who interviewd me in 2006 to possibly direct their movie "Magdalena: Released From Shame", Jill Schrag, is no longer with the project. I hope that was not too sad a parting, I really liked her.

So many wonderful people to meet. I am glad I came. Bless Dr. Cunningham and his incredibly hard-working team! May this festival proper.

4 comments:

Seanie said...

Yay!

Congratulations on award #2!!!!

Jenni said...

This is so inspiring! :)

Justine said...

I think they should have also given you an award for those tights and boots. Love 'em!

Jeremiah said...

Is there a website for the documentary BLINDING FAITH?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

info(at)saicffsemisites(dot)com